Wow, it has been a very long time since I updated my blog. Life has been hectic, to say the least. My last post was in March 2012 and since then, many things have happened:
1) I got surplussed at my job. "Your services are no longer required" said the letter my director general handed me on April 30th. This hurt big time and I'm trying really hard not to integrate the lesson that it doesn't matter if you're a top performer, you'll get the same fate as the poor performers.
2) I lost my footing... and then I went to get some help to get in control again.
3) I spent many sleepless nights revisiting my life, analyzing every little thing and making tough decisions.
4) I supported a dear friend as she underwent chemotherapy. I'll be forever grateful that she is still here and recovering by the day.
5) By May 31st, I found a new job. I'm still with the same department, but in a totally different division. I can't say I love it, but my wonderful manager and team make up for my lack of interest in what I do. To be honest, there are days when I really enjoy my job and I think it could be made interesting if it wasn't for all the other crap I have to do. But hey! It pays the bills, and allows me to survive in a relatively safe haven until the cuts are over.
6) I went on a FABULOUS trip to San Francisco before I started the new job. I spent 4 days there walking and cycling to let some steam off after that crazy rollercoaster year.
7) I had a serious health scare. I wasn't very scared myself until the doctor and nurse started to freak out on me. Thankfully, all is good.
8) I admitted to being physically and mentally exhausted and went on a 4 days/week schedule. I'm loving it and am not looking forward to going back full time.
9) We went away for a weekend and got robbed. They stole our electronics and my sense of security in my own home. I'm happy to report it is coming back, though.
So... 2012 has been a shitty year. But I've learned a ton of things, about myself, about the workplace, about the world in general. I like to think that I am a better person for having survived 2012. A new and improved version of myself, ready to face 2013.
I'm currently working really hard at undoing the damage that 2012 has done on my body. I gained about 10 lbs and haven't been very active. It's time to get in motion again!
A friend challenged me to 2,013 km in 2013. It can be walking, running, cycling, swimming, cross-country skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, rollerblading... On top of trying to move for 2,013 km, I decided that 1,000 of those kilometers should be for transportation as opposed to leisure of training. That means 1,000 km of bike commuting and walking places. Time to get moving!