Sunday, September 20, 2009

DNS'ing

This morning, I was supposed to do another try-a-tri, but I bailed out because of a number of reasons that I won't go through here. To summarize, I wasn't up to the challenge, physically or mentally, and I don't regret my decision at all.

I started running again and I'm trying to be more disciplined about it. I ran twice last week, each time doing 6 x 2:1s. I also went swimming on Thursday night and I biked a lot. So, I'm keeping active, even if I'm not following any kind of formal training program.

Today, I went to the doctor and got my blood test results: they were awesome! I was a bit worried about my cholesterol level, what with my 10lbs weight gain and relative sedentary lifestyle. I was happily surprised to find out my levels were fine and that my healthy cholesterol was super high! The doctor said it was "unabnormally high" which made me smile from ear to ear. He also told me I don't have celiac disease, meaning no gluten intolerance. Woohoo! The best part was when he said that the results didn't point out to any nutrient malabsorption! It means there are other reasons why I keep getting sick, but at least I'm keeping my nutrients in. :)

Now, if only I could get rid of my extreme allergies (which may well be the cause for my weak immune system). I have an appointment for allergy testing in November and my plan is to try desensitization.

Things are kind of looking up.

3 comments:

Ian Timshel said...

Great to hear you're back hitting the road on foot.

I too suffer from allergies that mess with my immune system. This year I've used nasal irrigation to help with the load and it seems to have a definite and positive effect on the fatigue.

I use an isotonic solution for the irrigation and I really like it now that I'm use to the whole weird science thing. ;^)

I think it helps by keeping minor and major infection in my sinus to a minimum. emm has suggested that it works for her too and I see she's following your progress here so maybe she'll confirm her experience. I hope you get some relief soon.
Ian

Kelodie said...

Thanks for your note, Ian. I heard about this nasal irrigation on Oprah, but now that I know people for whom it has worked, I think I'll give it a try! Do you do it year-long?

Ian Timshel said...

I think I will do it all year. It would feel like not brushing my teeth now if I stopped. I really enjoy the feeling of clear sinuses. When my allergies are really bad I'm tempted to do it twice a day.

I've written a couple of times about it.

Cheers!