Thursday, September 21, 2006

My first swimming lesson!

On Tuesday night was my first swimming lesson. I was very nervous and didn't know what to expect at all. Well, I was very pleased with what I got!!!

My friend seems to know exactly what he is doing, and he sure knows a lot about swimming and the mistakes everybody makes when they learn. He said my arms were strong! (thank you personal trainer for designing me great programs!)

We didn't do any arm work tonight though. We focused on the legs and breathing. I was using a kick board, so I wasn't scared of drowning and I could concentrate on my legs. It took me some time to be able to move my legs in an acceptable way, but I did it. The breathing was more difficult. I took too much air in and I couldn't get a right rythm of breathing in and out. I practiced for a while and finally got it, but when I tried to do it while swimming with the kick board, it didn't work...

My friend left, but I decided to practice a little bit more. And I was able to do almost 2 complete lenghts of the pool while breathing corectly!!! I think the last time that I was as proud was when I was able to run for 3 minutes for the first time!!! It was a great feeling! I couldn't wait to tell my friend the day after that I was able to do that, but he saw me on his way out. When he left, it didn't look like I would be able that night, but I was!

Walking back home, I realized that it's now official: I'm a triathlete in training!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Hey Claudie!
I wanted to drop in and say hi and congrats triathlete in training. You'll do awesome!!!!