Sunday, October 15, 2006

Self-doubts...

It had to happen: in the past week, I've been feeling pretty down about my training. In my swimming, I can't seem to be able to breathe on the side while swimming. I get dizzy because I do it too fast and I'm still not 100% comfortable in the water, so my neck and shoulders are stiff when I'm trying to coordinate everything. After my lesson this week, I've been beating myself up a lot, wondering why was I putting myself into another situation where I would fail. By talking to a few people on Running Mania, I realized that I wasn't the only one who had problems with side breathing and it made me feel just a little bit better. A friend has given me an exercise to try and I've watched the Total Immersion DVD and am gonna go to the pool tomorrow night and try these. I think the clever short-term goal is that I become more comfortable in the water. Period. Nothing else for now. And maybe work on that demanding character of mine! ;-)

On top of that, I got more foot/ankle/shin pain, which prevented me from running for a week. I've seen a new RMT about this and he helped me loosen up the shoulders, neck and legs. His techniques are weird, but they work! I also bought a Stick and i've been using it a lot in the past few days. This morning, I went for a 4K run, which ended up being a 5K run. I was very happy that the run was almost painless and although it was very tough on my respiratory system, it was a great run. At the end of my run, I put on "Amazing Grace" by Dropkick Murphys and sprinted for 2 minutes at 6:24/K!!! I couldn't stop smiling, it felt absolutely wonderful!!!

So, my days are filled with ups and downs, and a resolve to keep going that is unfortunately spoiled with self-doubt. I put all my objectives aside to focus on the moment and enjoy each and every bit of training happiness, like this morning.

2 comments:

MINI-Runner said...

Claudie... like I told you... the breathing will come when you get your balance & comfort sorted out in the water... heck it's been almost 18 months for me & sometimes I still forget how to breathe correctly - lol!

Patience girl, and remember you have to learn to walk before you can learn to run... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelodie.. did you ever think of joining a tri club in the area... I would recommend ottawa triathlon club.. Geordie is amazing....
www.ottawatriathlonclub.com
He has a class that involves swimming, spinning and running.Teaches you proper swimming technique, great info on Cycling and running a tri. Maybe only available in the spring. Although he has many other classes available year round... I do recommend his Tri school class. The clubhouse is on Wellington st. To reach Geordie:
geordiem@yahoo.com
Good luck. He helped me out with my Tri training and his Club is more about Fun, the serious training.
And... the BEST... The Prices are SO reasonable:)