Saturday, November 11, 2006

Update on my Triathlon Training

It's been a while since I updated my blog, so here is the latest on my triathlon training.

Swimming

After a few swimming lessons, I can finally swim. Not gracefully and not as I should technically swim, but I can float and I'm not afraid of drowning in the pool anymore. I still lack coordination to be able to do the legs, arms and breathing correctly at the same time, but I'm working on it. I'm very enthusiastic about my swimming and haven't missed one of my weekly sessions at the pool. I can't wait to get laser eye surgery and see my quality of life improve on the days I go to the pool. Without my glasses, I have no fun; with my contact lenses, I'm dizzy and have nausea.

Biking

I haven't been doing much biking lately. I've been on the stationery bike at the gym to warm up before my strenght training, but not more than 10 minutes at a time. I'm working on strenghtening my quads, hip flexors and lower back right now, which should help me when I seriously get back on the bike. I'm planning to attend my first ever spinning classes very soon.

Running

I'm trying to run 3 times a week, and keep the runs between 3K and 5K every time, which is challenging lately because my calves are still bothering me. They tighten up and they cramp, or they're tired from the strenght training and want to give way from under me. When the body collaborates, often times the mind doesn't. I'm still enjoying running, but I currently find myself in an unpleasant cul-de-sac situation. I don't feel like I'm improving at all, but then again, my focus right now is more on my swimming, strenght training and avoiding injuries.

Attitude

I'm very excited about my triathlon training and I'm enjoying every bit of it!

No comments: