Thursday, December 28, 2006

It's 9:27... My PRK Experience

This Fall, I made the decision of getting laser eye surgery, after trying on contact lenses without success. One day when I went to the optometrist to be told that the contacts that I had were my best option to go swimming, I was so discouraged that I knew I had to choose to either let go of my dream of learning to swim or get laser eye surgery. I thought about it a lot before I made an appointment with the Focus Eye Centre Clinic in Ottawa.

I had my PRK surgery on December 15th, 2006. I was very nerveous and it seemed that the Valium didn't help at all. The procedure gave me a lot of anxiety, but I did it. When I was done, the nurse asked me to look at the clock on the wall, and I could tell it was 9:27! Before surgery, all I saw was a big white round object on the wall and 10 minutes later, I could tell what time it was! :-)

2 weeks later, my eyes are healing alright, although my vision is far from perfect and I still have a way to go before I get to 20/20 vision. During my recovery, I had to learn to be patient and to deal with boreness. I listened to audiobooks, and to so much music that my iPod doesn't appeal to me anymore.

No comments: