Monday, December 04, 2006

I'm capable of more than I think

The first time my friend Christian told me I should register for a Half-Marathon for the Fall of 2006, I bursted laughing in his face. To me, this was the most ridiculous idea. Back then, I was plagued with severe shin splints and could hardly run 3K doing 3&1s. I remember coming back home and sharing Christian's joke with my boyfriend, not making fun of Christian, but making fun of his idea that I was capable of running a Half-Marathon.

Every time I spoke to Christian, he would always tease me that I really should register for a Half-Marathon. He told me that I was capable of much more than what I thought. Eventually, his optimism stuck with me and I started wondering...

Last Tuesday, after a terrible day at work, I decided to go running on the Treadmill at the gym. I had no goal at all, and I decided to run by feel. I was feeling good, and I thought "I wonder if I could run for 10 minutes straight?" I slowed down and I did it. Then, I thought "I wonder if I could do this another time?" and I did it. Finally, I thought "I wonder if I can sprint for 3 minutes?" and I did it. It felt so good!!! Last time I had run 10 minutes in a row was on January 9th, 2006. All Summer, the longest I ran was 6 minutes.

On Sunday, I went back to the gym to run on the Treadmill. This time, I ran 3 times 10 minutes!!! I felt so proud, as if I finally was a runner again. It has been over a year since I was able to run 3 times 10&1s.

Christian was right: I am capable of much more than I think.

No comments: