Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The quest to become Kelodie the Triathlete starts today!

After thinking about it for a while, I decided to tri-a-tri next Summer. Tri-a-tris are beginner's triathlons and the one I want to do next year consists of 200m swim/20K bike/5K run. I can already bike 20K (did that on Sunday and it took me about 1:20 - I need to increase my speed) and I can already run 5K (I'm slow, but I can do it!).

My challenge will be the swim part, since I have to learn to swim. I currently use the "trying not to drown" swimming technique, but I heard there were more efficient ways of swimming. A friend of mine has a lot of swimming teaching experience and has agreed to show me how to swim this Fall. I can't wait!

Yesterday, I was in a lake and realized that I am not afraid of water, like I thought I was. I am afraid of having water in my eyes and not touching the bottom of the pool or the lake. Those fears are very easy to fix! Other than that, I also realized that I love being in the water and that I can float. This is all very encouraging!

In particular, there are 4 women on my running forum (www.runningmania.com) who inspired or encouraged me to take on triathlons. Thank you Irongirl, La, TracyW and Ktheturtle! Your support means a lot to me!

3 comments:

The Servant said...

Congrats Kelodie! You will make a great triathlete.

dan

MINI-Runner said...

Kelodie... I am so proud of you & I am honoured that I could help you make this decision... if I can do it, you will have no problems in reaching your goal... YAY!

MINIRunner (Tracy)

FreddyBeachPete said...

Hi Kelodie,
Best of luck with your tri training. I am starting to get the urge to try one also. Perhaps next year for me too.

Peter